I DONT NEED HELP, BUT SUPPORT



Help is giving someone a hand when they need it. Support is being their flesh and blood when they feel they have none. Help may solve a problem, but support provides the foundation for someone to thrive."


Individuals who belong to any category of impairment, such as visual impairment, often feel hesitant to express their struggles due to the sympathetic lens of society. The way people view the differently-abled community is a significant factor in this.

I have experienced this for a long time and often isolated myself because I didn't want others to view me with pity. While filling out an examination form, I couldn't see the options on the screen properly, and I had to ask my friends for help. It was embarrassing, but I had no other option. One of my seniors offered to fill out the form for me, but I insisted on learning how to do it myself. However, he didn't respond, which made me feel as if I was a burden, and people were avoiding me.

This experience made me realize that I wasn't looking for help, but rather, I had a right to assistance due to being born differently-abled. Society needs to reconsider how it perceives and treats people with impairments.

Help and support are related terms, but they have slightly different meanings:

·         Help generally refers to providing assistance or aid to someone in need. It often involves taking action to solve a problem or address a specific situation. Help can be given in many forms, such as providing information, advice, resources, or physical assistance.

·         Support, on the other hand, generally refers to providing emotional or practical assistance to someone over a longer period of time. Support often involves being there for someone to listen, encourage, and provide ongoing assistance as needed. It can involve providing a sense of comfort, stability, and guidance.

In summary, help tends to be more focused on solving immediate problems or addressing specific needs, while support tends to be more focused on providing ongoing assistance and encouragement over a longer period of time.

Comments